I promised to write about some of the issues that are important to the community and to me. I’ll get to that throughout the month of September and into early October. School Generated Funds; the Sex-Ed Curriculum, Consistency of “Best Practices” across all schools in our Board – these are all topics I plan to explore. For today, I simply want to continue the conversation we’ve been having over the last couple of weeks, that is: getting to know a little bit more about me and why I am running. I trust that the more you know about Sheralyn Roman, the more informed a decision you’ll be able to make about where to cast your vote. So today, in no particular order, you’ll find the “highlight reel” – everything you ever wanted to know about Sheralyn Roman your candidate for Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board Trustee.
- Married, two kids; aged 19 and 16. A parishioner at St. Leonard’s Church.
- I have a B.A. from McMaster and a B.Ed. from Brock University.
- Additionally, I received an Adult Education Teaching Certificate from Sheridan College.
- My background is in HR, Training and Development and Communications.
- I taught school for a number of years in the School of Business at Sheridan College.
- I also served for several years as an on-call emergency supply teacher for the DPCDSB.
- Currently, I own a small communications company called Writing Right For You, providing training, editorial and creative writing services for business. I have also worked under contract with Snapd Newspaper Group.
- About a year ago I published a children’s book, Epic Ellie and the Invisible Dragon.
- Together with my husband we own and operate a Tool and Die related company where I act as the Office Manager.
- Parent Advisory Council Chairperson, Parish Rep, Secretary and both a classroom and parish volunteer.
- I’ve volunteered with the All Star Reading Program, the Primary, Junior and Intermediate “Forest of Reading” Book Clubs, the Caledon Public Library and as a “Friends of the Library” committee member.
- Responsible for working with Council to design, deliver, plan and host a number of Parent Engagement Evening Events on a broad variety of topics.
- I sit on the Board of Directors for the Caledon Parent Child Centre.
- A member of the Executive of the South Caledon Soccer Club.
- The Ambassador Board of the Leadership Forum for Women, Caledon.
Other activities/donations of time/volunteer commitments:
- Junior Achievement.
- The Pink Hair Dare Campaign supporting The Wellness Centre.
- Relay for Life.
- United Way.
- Family Transition Place.
- In the past, my family and I have welcomed opportunities to volunteer in our Parish with the Good Shepherd program and packing Christmas hampers. I am also honoured to have been included for several years on the list of Lectors for St. Leonard’s.
- In my role as Parish Rep for St. Rita School it brought me great joy to recognize the Sacraments in a special way by hosting unique celebrations for both students and their families and by providing religious gifts and prayer cards in memory of these special occasions.